PureWave® SMS-250 Storage Management System
Scalable energy storage for utility, renewable, and microgrid energy-storage applications
Offers an outdoor three-phase four quadrant converter system dedicated to energy storage solutions requiring less than 1 MW of power
The PureWave SMS-250 Storage Management System offers an outdoor three-phase four quadrant converter system dedicated to energy storage solutions requiring less than 1 MW of power. It can operate in different modes, including Current Source mode, Voltage Source mode, and Islanded mode.
The PureWave SMS-250 is capable of delivering:
- Full real power output (both positive and negative)
- Full reactive power output (both capacitive and inductive)
- A combination of both real and reactive power
Grid-interface control embedded in the unit’s controller is ready for grid-interface switchgear.
Connects to Different Battery Types
Works with energy storage systems’ various battery chemistries, including sodium-sulfur, lithium ion, sodium-nickel chloride, lead-acid, and advanced lead-acid batteries.
Modular design makes the product simpler to handle and easier to troubleshoot, resulting in faster repair time and lower repair and inventory costs.
Scalable design allows for progressive project-size expansion (paralleling additional units for larger application rating).
Two or more SMS-250 units can operate in parallel, thus boosting the Storage Management System power capabilities to 500 kW, 750 kW, and more, if needed.
Multiple Energy Storage Applications
Includes a standard and custom field-proven control-algorithm library of power solutions for utility, renewable, microgrid, and off-grid applications.
The PureWave SMS-250 Storage Management System has a nominal rating of 250 kW.
Power Rating: 400 amperes continuous
Power-output rating varies according the connected voltage, as shown below:
- 263 kVA @ 380 Vac
- 288 kVA @ 415 Vac
- 333 kVA @ 480 Vac
Has a flexible configuration and can be programmed to deliver only real power (power factor=1, i.e. kW), only reactive power (power factor=0; vars), or a combination of both (0 < power factor <1).
Dc Input Ratings
Voltage (Battery): 618 – 850 Vdc
- Temperature Range
- Standard: -40° C to +40° C
- Extended: -40° C to +50° C with de-rating
- Forced Air
- Protection Class
- NEMA-3R / IP54 (Outdoor Enclosure)
- 0% to 100%
- 1000 m
Design standards cover the United States, Canada, Europe, and any other country that uses the following standards.
- NFPA 704, Identification of the Hazards of Material for Emergency Response
- ANSI / IEEE C2-2007 National Electrical Safety Code
- IEEE 1547-2003 Interconnecting Distributed Resources with Electric Power Systems
- IEEE 519-1992 IEEE Harmonic Limits
- IEC 62040-2 C3 EMC Compliant
- ANSI Z535 – 2002 Product Safety Signs and Labels
Packaging includes three main features:
Modular & Scalable
Modular design allows for improved reliability, easier troubleshooting, simpler product handling, improved predictive maintenance, and lower inventory and repair cost with faster repair time.
Scalable design allows for parallel operation of multiple PureWave SMS-250 units, giving the end user the flexibility of progressive project-size expansion (paralleling additional units for a larger application rating). Two PureWave SMS-250 units can be configured in a master-slave hierarchy. More than two SMS-250 units can be paralleled and controlled with the Master Controller.
Compartmentalized design improves product handling and performance. More specifically, it:
- Segregates and simplifies circuit design
- Lowers component count
- Improves noise immunity
- Hastens and simplifies component serviceability
- Improves component circuit functionality & reliability
Compact packaging provides a:
- Smaller cabinet for easier handling
- Smaller footprint to save space
- Lighter package for easier lifting
Communication & Control
Standard Communication Protocols
Configurable for Grid-Connected or Islanded operation. Embedded advanced control algorithms offer an extensive library of standard and custom power control application modes, including:
- Frequency regulation
- Spinning reserve
- Capacity firming
- Power smoothing
- Ramp rate control
- Voltage support
- Var support
- Peak shaving
- Energy time shifting
- Custom design application profile
Human Machine Interface
Includes a Web-based HMI user interface that provides integrated control and monitoring of the energy storage system. HMI screens give an overview of the entire energy storage system status. It provides:
- Inverter information, including actual performance data, such as voltage, current, power, etc.
- Battery information, including actual performance data, such as voltage, current, and power.
- Utility information, including actual performance data, such as voltage, current, and power.
- Communication status, indicating device communication state.
- System operation state, indicating operating status.
- Alarm status, indicating the system alarm state.