Effective Date: May 25, 2018.
This Privacy Notice (“Notice”) describes how the S&C Electric Company (“us,” “we,” “S&C”) collects and otherwise processes your Personal Data (as defined below) in connection with:
- Your use of our website (www.sandc.com) and Customer Portal;
- Our recruitment processes;
- Our use of Personal Data related to the family members, next of kin, beneficiaries and/or dependents of our current and former personnel in connection with the provision of benefits and similar services;
- Your communications with us through other channels, such as if you call our customer service center, interact with us at an event, or otherwise contact us; and
- Any other circumstances in which we refer you to this Notice.
This Notice does not apply to Personal Data that we collect in the context of your employment or other working relationship with S&C. If you are an employee or other worker of S&C, please refer to your Human Resources Department.
“S&C Electric Company” or “S&C” refers to one of the following entities: S&C Electric Company (US); S&C Electric UK Holdings Limited (United Kingdom); S&C Electric Australia Pty Ltd. (Australia); S&C Electric do Brasil Ltda. (Brazil); S&C Electric China (China); S&C Electric Mexicana, S. de R.L. de C.V. (Mexico); and S&C Electric Canada Ltd. (Canada) (each, an “Entity” or together, “Entities”).
If no Entity has been clearly identified, the data controller or data controllers may be identified in the following order or precedence:
- For Personal Data that S&C collects on or through its websites, S&C Electric Company (US) is the data controller.
- For Personal Data that is collected in connection with our newsletters and other marketing message, the data controller is identified on the subscription form and in each message.
- For communications and activities, the data controller is the Entity that is identified in the respective communication or in the context of the activity.
- For Personal Data collected in the context of a recruitment process, the data controller is the Entity identified in the job posting or otherwise seeking to source a position.
- For Personal Data that S&C collects pursuant to a contractor or other similar relationship, the S&C entity with which you have the contractor or other similar relationship is the data controller.
- For activities in the context of the procurement of products and services, the data controller will be the Entity identified in the order form, agreement, or similar document.
If you have any doubt about the controller or controllers of your Personal Data, please contact us using the information in the section “Contact us” at the end of this Privacy Notice. Contact information for each data controller may be found on www.sandc.com.
If you have any questions or complaints about this Privacy Notice or our information practices, please contact us using the information below.
PERSONAL DATA WE PROCESS
“Personal Data” refers to any information that relates to you directly or indirectly. We process the following categories of Personal Data:
- Contact information, such as first and last name, mailing address (including zip code), e-mail address, employer, job title and department, telephone and facsimile numbers.
- Financial information, such as credit card number and related information.
- Communication information, such as the content of communications when you contact us via our hotline, an online form or enter a contest.
- Recruitment information, such as resume/curriculum vitae, work history and qualifications.
- Family information, such as the demographic and contact information of family members, dependents, next of kin, and other persons related to potential and current S&C employees or other workers.
- Miscellaneous identifying information, such as date of birth, resume information (if you are applying for a job with us), and IP address and other device identifiers.
We collect Personal Data from: (i) Direct interactions, such as when you enquire about our services, register for an event with us, provide us with information in connection with our services, participate in surveys or questionnaires, subscribe to a newsletter or in any way engage with us or our workers; (ii) Cookies and other Data Collection Technologies, such as when you interact with our website or click on links on our emails; (iii) Through social media, such as if you link to social media platforms or use social media plug-ins, in which case we may (depending on your user privacy settings on that social media platform) automatically receive information about you from that social media platform; (iv) Third parties, such as customers, contractors, consultants and suppliers; and (v) Security systems, such as when you visit our offices and we obtain closed circuit television (“CCTV”) footage and other information through electronic means such as security/swipe card records.
S&C also automatically collects certain other data when you visit our website. This data is collected in aggregated form and includes the type of web browser and operating systems used. This information cannot be used to identify you, but is useful for improving the user experience on our website.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
S&C collects your Personal Data in order to operate our business, improve our services, and support your participation in the activities you select. The Personal Data we collect may be used in the following ways:
Use of Personal Data
Categories of Personal Data Used
Processing and fulfilling purchases of products or services
Contact and financial information, including first and last name, mailing address, email address, telephone number, and credit card number
Contract: We use your Personal Data to complete your purchases and other transactions. We use a third party payment processor to process your payment card information and generally do not retain payment card information on our systems.
Contact and communication information, including first and last name, and email address
Contact information, including first and last name, and email address and physical address and telephone numbers
Legitimate Interests: To provide you with information we think may be of interest to you.
We may use your Personal Data for internal marketing purposes only pursuant to your legal consent.
Entry in contests
Contact information, including first and last name, mailing address, email address, and telephone number
Legitimate Interests: We use your Personal Data to allow you to participate in a contest that you entered.
Contact information and other identifying information, including first and last name, mailing address, email address, telephone number, background information, work history and qualifications, and other information, such as your resume, any cover letter/application and reference information, relevant to potential recruitment by S&C.
Legitimate Interests: We use your Personal Data so that we can evaluate your application and make employment and other hiring decisions.
Pre-contractual Measures: To recruit and evaluate potential candidates to join S&C.
Legal Obligation: Where processing is required by statutory law including in the field of employment law.
Processing of certain employment/worker information and provision of benefits
Contact and family information, including names, dates of birth, address, and phone numbers
Contract: We use Personal Data belonging to you and your family so that we can provide certain employment or other worker benefits.
Legitimate Interest: To provide attractive and effective benefit packages and related services to our personnel.
Analytics and website traffic analysis
Identifying information such as IP address and device ID
Legitimate Interests: We use your Personal Data to that we can understand how individuals use our website and make decisions on how we can improve our website.
We only process Special Categories of Personal Data if you give us your explicit consent, the processing is necessary to meet a legal or regulatory obligation, the processing is in connection with the establishment, exercise or defense of our claims, or is otherwise expressly permitted applicable laws. Special Categories of Personal Data includes information about your racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade union membership, genetic data, biometric data, and data concerning health, sex life, and sexual orientation.
HOW WE SHARE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We may share your Personal Data with third parties for the purposes described at the time we collect your Personal Data, at your direction, or in the following situations:
- Service providers and suppliers: S&C may provide your Personal Data to third parties who help us operate and provide our services, such service providers for information technology and telecommunications (such as data centers, hosting providers, email service providers), marketing, accounting, shipping, delivery, and other business process outsourcing providers. We provide our third-party service providers only with the Personal Data necessary to provide their services.
- Business partners: S&C may use Personal Data that you choose to provide to select third parties in order to keep you informed about products and services offered by those third parties. However, S&C will not sell or distribute your Personal Data to other companies or organizations for their own marketing or other promotional purposes.
- Affiliates: S&C may share your Personal Data with our affiliate companies to accomplish the processing activities described above.
- Other third parties if reasonably necessary:
- In relation to a merger, sale, acquisition, divesture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, bankruptcy, or other change of ownership or control (whether in whole or in part); and
INTERNATIONAL DATA TRANSFER
S&C is committed to complying with this Privacy Notice and European data protection laws with regard to information transferred from the EEA. The laws in the United States and other countries outside the EEA may not be as protective as the laws in Europe. Because of this, S&C has taken steps to protect your privacy and fundamental rights when your Personal Data is transferred to the United States (and to other countries where no adequacy decision of the European Commission exists). For transfers to S&C entities outside the EEA, we make use of the European Commission’s Standard Contractual Clauses.
If you would like to know more about how we protect your Personal Data, or obtain a copy of the adequate safeguards, you can contact us using the information in the section “Contact us” at the end of this Notice.
COOKIES AND OTHER DATA COLLECTION TECHNOLOGY
A “Cookie” is a small text file that is sent to or accessed from your web browser or your computer’s hard drive. A Cookie typically contains the name of the domain (internet location) from which the Cookie originated, the “lifetime” of the Cookie (when it expires), and a randomly generated unique number or other similar identifier. A Cookie may also contain information about your computer, such as user settings, browsing history and activities conducted while using our online services.
A “Web Beacon” (also called a “pixel tag” or “clear GIF”) is a piece of computer code that enables us to monitor user activity and website traffic.
We refer to Cookies, Web Beacons, and other similar technology as “Data Collection Technology.” To learn more about cookies and web beacons, visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
Data Collection Technology helps us improve your experience on our online services. For example, we use Google Analytics, a web-based analytics tool that tracks and reports on the manner in which the website is used to help us to improve it. Google Analytics does this by placing Cookies on your device. The information that the Cookies collect, such as the number of visitors to the website, the pages visited and the length of time spent on the website, is aggregated. We also may use Data Collection Technology to collect information from the computer or device that you use to access our online services, such as your operating system type, browser type, domain and other system settings, as well as the language your system uses and the country and time zone in which your computer or device is located.
We generally use the following types of Data Collection Technologies, which may change from time to time: session, permanent, and third-party cookies.
Some web browsers (including some mobile web browsers) provide settings that allow you to control or reject Cookies or alert you when a Cookie is placed on your device. You may also be able to reject mobile device identifiers by activating the appropriate setting on your mobile device. Although you are not required to accept Cookies or mobile device identifiers, if you block or reject them, you may not have access to all features available through our online services.
Some web browsers incorporate a “Do Not Track” (“DNT”) or similar feature that signals to websites that a user does not want to have his or her online activity and behavior tracked. If a website that responds to a particular DNT signal receives the DNT signal, the browser can block that website from collecting certain information about the browser’s user. We follow the DNT signals we receive from your browsers.
We will keep your Personal Data for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes we collected it for, including any legal, accounting or reporting requirements. To determine the appropriate retention period for Personal Data, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of Personal Data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your Personal Data, the purposes for which we process your Personal Data, whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and all applicable legal requirements.
We implement appropriate technical and organizational measures designed to protect your Personal Data from unauthorized access, use, disclosure, alteration or destruction, in accordance with applicable laws and regulations. For example, we:
- Limit access of your Personal Data to authorized parties;
- Limit our collection and use of your Personal Data to the extent necessary to provide you with our services; and
- Use third party service providers who can meet our data protection standards and have the ability to comply with applicable data protection laws.
If you would like to know more about how we protect your Personal Data, you can contact us using the information in the section “Contact Us” at the end of this Notice.
YOUR RIGHTS AND CHOICES
You have the right to access and correct your Personal Data and privacy preferences at any time. We are committed to ensuring that your Personal Data is accurate and up to date. Therefore, please advise us of any changes to your information.
If you are located in the European Economic Area, you have the following additional rights with respect to the Personal Data we maintain about you:
- Right of access and correction: You have the right to request details on your Personal Data held by S&C. You also have the right to ask S&C to update or correct inaccurate or incomplete Personal Data held by S&C.
- Right of restriction, objection, and erasure: You have the right to request that S&C stop using all or some of your Personal Data, to limit S&C’s use of it, and that S&C erase it, if certain conditions are met. You also have the right to object to the processing of your Personal Data when the processing is based upon S&C’s legitimate interest.
- Right to data portability: You have the right to request a copy of your Personal Data, free of charge and in a structured, commonly used and machine readable format, if certain conditions are met.
- Right to withdraw consent: You have the right to withdraw any consent you have previously given to S&C at any time. Your withdrawal of consent does not affect the lawfulness of S&C’s collecting, using, and sharing of your Personal Data prior to the withdrawal of your consent. Even if you withdraw your consent, in certain limited circumstances S&C may have the right to continue to use your Personal Data.
- Right to contact your Supervisory Authority: If you are not satisfied with S&C’s response to a privacy-related request, you have the right to lodge a complaint with your Supervisory Authority.
If you wish to exercise any of your rights above, please contact us using the information in the section “Contact us” at the end of this Notice. We may charge you a reasonable fee if you request additional copies of your Personal Data or make other requests that are manifestly unfounded or excessive. In so far as practicable and required under law, we will notify third parties with whom we have shared your Personal Data of any request for correction, deletion, and/or restriction to the processing of your Personal Data. Please note that we cannot guarantee third parties will comply with your requests and we encourage you to contact those third parties directly.
Please note that if you decide to exercise some of your rights, we may be unable to perform the actions necessary to achieve the purposes set out above or you may not be able to use or take full advantage of the services and products we offer.
If you do not wish to receive marketing-related emails from us, please click the unsubscribe link at the bottom of a marketing email, or email us using the information in the section “Contact us” at the end of this Notice. Please note that even if we stop all marketing communications, you may still receive administrative, legal, and other important communications from us.
The S&C website and services are directed to adults aged 16 and older. S&C does not knowingly collect Personal Data from children under 16 years of age. If S&C discovers that it has collected Personal Data from a child under 16, S&C will take reasonable measures to obtain the consent of that child’s parent or guardian prior to further processing that child’s Personal Data. If S&C cannot obtain the consent of a parent or guardian, S&C will delete that child’s Personal Data from S&C’s systems.
THIRD PARTY LINKS
Our services may include links or references to third party websites and services that we do not operate or control. If you provide your Personal Data to that third party through its websites or services, you will be subject to that third party’s privacy practices and policies. This Notice does not apply to any Personal Data that you provide to a third party website or service. We recommend that you read the Notice that applies to that third party website or service. A link or reference to a third party website or service does not mean that we endorse that third party or the quality or accuracy of the information presented on its website or service.
CHANGES AND UPDATES
The Effective Date of this Privacy Notice is set forth at the top of this webpage. If we materially change the way we collect, use or disclose your Personal Data we will notify you in advance by email and/or by placing a prominent notice on this website. The amended privacy notice supersedes all previous versions.
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, or would like to access or correct your Personal Data and privacy preferences, please contact S&C at any time by emailing us at email@example.com, or writing or calling at:
S&C Electric Company
Attn: Senior Manager – Marketing Communications
6601 North Ridge Boulevard
Chicago, Illinois 60626-3997