PureWave® DSTATCOM Distributed Static Compensator
Voltage support for transmission systems
PureWave DSTATCOM is a fast-compensating reactive power source that can reduce voltage variations and voltage instability in the transmission system, and can assist in quick recovery after contingency events
PureWave DSTATCOM is well suited to a major goal of the Smart Grid: Integration of renewable energy sources, such as wind, concentrated solar, and tidal power generation. It allows these renewable energy sources to meet utility interconnection requirements, as well as the power factor, voltage output, and low-voltage ride-through requirements of various worldwide grid codes.
PureWave DSTATCOM has been applied on a number of utility systems and wind farms since the late 1990s, meeting or exceeding all specifications.
- Ultra-fast response time: 3 to 6 milliseconds. Provides faster voltage (or VAR, or power factor) control to enhance system voltage stability.
- Substantial short-time capability for contingency events. Each inverter section can provide up to 3.3 MVAR for 3 seconds.
- Modular design provides redundancy. Each 1.25-MVAR inverter has its own independent controls and circuit breakers, maximizing system reliability and availability. Individual inverters can be maintained while the remainder of the system is in operation. Inverters are air-cooled — not water-cooled — eliminating maintenance, enhancing reliability.
- Packaged in compact ISO-style container. Minimizes need for valuable substation space. Up to four containers can be paralleled for a total system output of ±40 MVAR.
- Includes climate-controlled control room with air-conditioning, if required. Weatherproof maintenance aisle enhances reliability and serviceability.
- Flexible system sizing with control of external devices. Up to six externally switched capacitor or reactor banks can be controlled by PureWave DSTATCOM
- Fully factory-tested for quick installation and commissioning.
The PureWave DSTATCOM Distributed Static Compensator utilizes ±1.25 MVA / 3.3 MVAR PWM Inverters in a modular arrangement.
|System Voltage Continuous Output||480 V to 35 kV, 50 or 60 Hz♣|
|Short-Term Current Rating||264% for 2 seconds, ramping to 100% at 4 seconds; or
264% for seconds, stepping directly to 100%
|Reactive Current Response Time||2 to 4 milliseconds|
|Inverter||IGBT, pulse-width modulated at 4860 Hz|
|Temperature Range||-40° to +50° C|
|Cooling||Ambient air cooling|
♣ Single transformation to 46kV.
|Number of Containers||Dimensions, Feet (Meters)||Weight,|
|5.0||1||40 (12.2)||8.0 (2.4)||9.5 (2.9)||36,000 (16,364)|
|7.5||1||45 (13.7)||8.0 (2.4)||9.5 (2.9)||48,000 (21,818)|
|10.0||Container 1: Lead, 10 MVAR
Container 2: Control
|15.0||Container 1: Lead and Controls, 7.5 MVAR
Container 2: Auxiliary, 7.5 MVAR
How It Works
The equivalent circuit of a power system with a PureWave DSTATCOM is shown below.
PureWave DSTATCOM generates a variable voltage, Vd, that is very nearly in phase with the source voltage, Vs. The inductance in this simplified circuit, L, consists of the inductance of the coupling transformer and filter. The voltage across the inductance, VL, equals Vs-Vd and is small in per-unit terms . . . on the order of 5-20%.
If Vs > Vd, VL is in phase with Vs and current IL lags Vs by 90°; PureWave DSTATCOM, acting as a generator, produces leading (inductive) reactive current.
If Vs < Vd, VL is antiphase with Vs and current IL leads Vs by 90°; PureWave DSTATCOM produces lagging (capacitive) reactive current.
Article Reprint 655-R125.pdf [English, 221 KB, 4/1/2013]
Solving the Renewable Integration Puzzle with Smart Grid Technology
Case Study 655-1000.pdf [English, 170 KB, 1/21/2002]
PureWave DSTATCOM Lets Mining Operation Peacefully Co-Exist With Its Neighbors
Case Study 655-1001.pdf [English, 68 KB, 10/7/2002]
PureWave DSTATCOM Solves Voltage Flicker Problem
Case Study 655-1002.pdf [English, 988 KB, 6/6/2011]
PureWave DSTATCOM Distributed Static Compensator: Single-Inverter PureWave DSTATCOM is Ideal for Small Wind Plant
Case Study 655-1003.pdf [English, 1095 KB, 7/6/2015]
60-MVAR Reactive Compensation System Helps Connect One of the UK's Largest Wind Farms
Caso Práctico 655-1002S.pdf [Spanish, 1172 KB, 6/6/2011]
PureWave DSTATCOM de Inversor Unico Resulta Ideal para Planta Eolica de Pequenas Dimensiones
Caso Práctico 655-1003S.pdf [Spanish, 4864 KB, 7/6/2015]
Sistema de Compensacion Reactiva de 60-MVAR Ayuda a Conectar uno de los Mas Grandes Parques Eolicos del Reino Unido
Descriptive Bulletin 655-30.pdf [English, 1627 KB, 3/17/2008]
S&C PureWave DSTATCOM Distributed Static Compensator - Fast voltage recovery for transmission and distribution systems
Information Sheet 655-452.pdf [English, 615 KB, 6/11/2007]
S&C PureWave DSTATCOM Distributed Static Compensator, 2 to 32 MVAR, 480 V to 69 kV, Detailed Functional Specification Guide
Information Sheet 655-452.rtf [English, 82 KB, 6/11/2007]
S&C PureWave DSTATCOM Distributed Static Compensator, 2 to 32 MVAR, 480 V to 69 kV, Detailed Functional Specification Guide (Word version)
Technical Paper 655-T92.pdf [English, 443 KB, 1/1/2011]
Grid Connection of Renewable Generation