IntelliRupter® PulseCloser® Fault Interrupter
Distribution faults damage your equipment, reliability, and bottom line.
In fact, your current fault management strategy may cause more damage than you realize by multiplying the force applied to your system when testing the line for faults after an event.
S&C’s IntelliRupter PulseCloser Fault Interrupter uses PulseClosing® Technology to dramatically reduce the amount of force used during fault testing and to significantly lessen momentary outages for customers on the main feeder.
This strategy reduces costs for the utility and its customers, and it improves reliability.
Learn how PulseClosing® Technology extends the life of your grid.
PulseClosing® Technology visibly uses less force when testing for faults on your system.
Fault interruption, fault isolation, and circuit restoration in a single, easy-to-install package.
- Unique PulseClosing® Technology confirms there’s no fault on the line before initiating point-on-wave closing
- Vacuum interrupters with a unique actuating system that enables PulseClosing® Technology
- Integrated three-phase voltage sensing on both sides of the interrupters
- Integrated three-phase current sensing that provides linear output over the range from load to fault current
- An integrated power module on one or both sides of the interrupters, eliminating the need to install separate power transformers
- Solid dielectric insulation featuring S&C’s Cypoxy™ Insulator, a cycloaliphatic epoxy resin system
- Models with or without integrated visible disconnect
- A choice of integrated controls, all configurable from the safety of your vehicle using a Wi-Fi link to your PC:
- A standard Control Group provides basic protective functionality in standalone applications
- An IntelliTeam® SG Control Group supports S&C’s IntelliTeam SG Automatic Restoration System
- Automatic selection of pre-configured protection provides appropriate settings for the source serving the team
- All controls are line-powered, so no VT needed
- All controls are hookstick-replaceable
- Internal circuit-making and circuit-breaking for all-weather reliability (hookstick-operated disconnect with air gap)
- Integrated three-phase voltage and current sensors that eliminate cost, clutter, and complexity of separately mounted sensors
For Overhead Systems
- Non-Disconnect Style IntelliRupter® PulseCloser® Fault Interrupter
- Non-Disconnect Compact-Crossarm Style IntelliRupter® PulseCloser® Fault Interrupter
- Disconnect Style IntelliRupter® PulseCloser® Fault Interrupter
For Underground Systems
- Pad-Mounted Style IntelliRupter® PulseCloser® Fault Interrupter
Options & Accessories
IntelliRupter® fault interrupters include a base-integrated control that’s accessed for configuration and operation via a secure Wi-Fi link. This innovative approach improves reliability, operator safety, and convenience. It also significantly enhances security compared with the “lock-and-key” approach of most conventional reclosers.
S&C can furnish the control with a wide range of radios, including our SpeedNet™ Radio. SpeedNet Radios greatly enhance IntelliTeam® SG restoration speed. They combine extremely secure long-range communication, high-volume data transmission, and flexible mesh networking to provide benchmark performance for unlicensed radio networks.
Other options and accessories include:
- Wildlife protection. Reduces wildlife-related nuisance outages.
- Bracket-mounted antenna. Extends 4 feet from the base; attaches at either end. Includes 900-MHz, 3-dBd-gain, omni-directional antenna, or 900-MHz, 9-dBd gain, directional Yagi antenna, plus cable and hardware. Also available: bracket only.
- Joslyn Zforce Type ZHP (Heavy Duty) polymer-housed metal-oxide surge arresters. Factory-installed and wired.
- International Crating. Features hardwood or certified heat-treated wood products.
- A 10-year IntelliRupter warranty. Comes in lieu of standard 2-year warranty.
- Module handle fitting. Attaches to a hookstick with a universal fitting. Permits field installation and removal of the protection and control module and the communication module. Includes a prong for operating IntelliRupter levers.
- Module stub handle. Permits the installation and removal of the protection and control module and the communication module in your service center or lab. When permitted by utility operating practice, a gloved individual can used the handle to install and remove the modules in the field.
- Wi-Fi tester. Simulates a connection to the communication module. Confirms your laptop computer can establish a secure Wi-Fi connection to your IntelliRupter fault interrupter. Also demonstrates use of Wi-Fi security keys. For indoor use only.
- Power supply. Powers the protection and control module and the communication module installed in the base in your service center or lab. Permits open, close, and test operations using a pulse, pre-installation uploading and downloading of configuration settings, radio programming, and radio-battery charging, as applicable. For indoor use only.
- Docking station. Powers the protection and control module and the communication module removed from the base in your service center or lab. Permits pre-installation uploading and downloading of configuration settings, radio programming, and radio-battery charging, as applicable. For indoor use only.
- SEL AutoRANGER™ Model AR8-OH Faulted Circuit Indicators. A set of three.
- Spare 12-Vdc, 8-Ampere-Hour Battery Pack. For the communication module.
- Battery Charger Output Harness. For connecting the battery pack to an 800-ma, current-limited 12-Vdc lead-acid battery charger.
- Detailed Instruction Manual. A binder containing printed copies of all IntelliRupter instruction sheets, erection drawings, and reference drawings.