Solutions for Power Quality
Common Power Quality Problems
Common Voltage Quality Problems
With over 20 years of experience in developing solutions to power quality problems encountered by utilities and large users of electric users, S&C offers comprehensive solutions backed by our leading technology and S&C’s team of experts. We can partner with you to identify the best approach to solve your power quality problem, then design and deliver a solution that will exceed your expectations.
Our solutions draw on S&C’s PureWave® power quality systems which provide the broadest selection of products offering whole-facility protection from virtually any power quality problem from 380 volts through 25 kV. S&C’s PureWave systems are field-proven and today correct a wide array of power quality problems at installation sites around the world.
Voltage sags are the most common power problem encountered. Sags are a short-term reduction in voltage, and can cause interruptions to sensitive equipment such as data centers, adjustable-speed drives, relays, and robots. Sags are most often caused by fuse or breaker operation, motor starting, or capacitor switching. Voltage sags typically are non-repetitive, or repeat only a few times due to recloser operation. Sags can occur on multiple phases or on a single phase and can be accompanied by voltage swells on other phases.
Power interruptions are zero-voltage events that can be caused by weather, equipment malfunction, recloser operations, or transmission outages. Interruptions can occur on one or more phases and are typically short duration events, the vast majority of power interruptions are less than 60 seconds.
Voltage flicker is rapidly occurring voltage sags caused by sudden and large increases in load current. Voltage flicker is most commonly caused by rapidly varying loads that require a large amount of reactive power such as wind turbines, welders, rock-crushers, sawmills, wood chippers, metal shredders, and amusement rides. It can cause visible flicker in lights and cause other processes to shut down or malfunction.
Use the product selection table below to determine the best solution for your power quality problem:
|Power Quality Solution|
|PureWave® DSTATCOM Distributed Static Compensator||PureWave® UPS Systems||PureWave® UPS-XT Systems|
|Meeting ISP requirements for wind/solar integration|
|Voltage Sags < 50%|
|Voltage Sags > 50%|
|Power Interruptions < 60 Seconds|
|Power interruptions > 60 Seconds|
S&C’s PureWave® power quality systems provide effective solutions to the power quality problems facing continuous process and service industries. As one of the few companies developing large-scale, outdoor and indoor power quality systems to protect entire facilities, S&C PureWave products ensure a consistent and reliable high-quality power supply at industrial and commercial installations worldwide.
Our systems can also mitigate the impact voltage variations such as sags, surges, and flicker, along with instability caused by rapidly varying reactive power demand. Our systems include:
- PureWave® UPS Systems protect power-sensitive equipment from the detrimental effects of disturbances such as voltage sags, surges, transients, momentary disruptions, and complete outages of up to 1 minute.
- PureWave® UPS-XT Systems protect power-sensitive equipment from the detrimental effects of disturbances such as voltage sags, surges, transients, momentary disruptions, and complete outages of more than 1 minute.
- PureWave® DSTATCOM Distributed Static Compensator is a fast-compensating reactive power source that's applied on the transmission or distribution system to reduce voltage variations that are typical at locations that have large motor starts and/or renewable integration.
- Transients Damage Adjustable-Speed Drives at Industrial Plant
- Evaluating Power Quality at Medical Center
- Island Energy Storage Reduces Air Pollution Emissions
- Canada's First Utility-Scale Energy Storage System Islands Remote Town During Outages
- S&C Provides Community Energy Storage to Smooth Solar Power in California
- Power Quality Problems Solved at a Customer Call Center
- PureWave UPS System Shows What It "Can" Do
- PureWave UPS System Provides a "Shot in the Arm" to Pharmaceutical Manufacturer
- S&C's PureWave UPS Systems Protect Test Labs from Power Outages
- PureWave UPS Cures Power Quality Problems for Pharmaceutical Manufacturer
- Maker of Lens Cleaning Solution Clearly Sees Advantages of PureWave UPS System
- PureWave UPS System Fills the Prescription for the Hospital Expansion
- PureWave UPS System Cuts Power Disturbances to New Surgical Site
- Expanding Data Center Selects PureWave UPS System
- Casino Doesn't Gamble on Power Quality
- Medium-Voltage PureWave UPS System Cures Hospital's Power Quality Problems
- PureWave Storage Management System Fortifies California Jail's Microgrid
- S&C PureWave UPS System Meets the Power Reliability Needs of Semiconductor Fabricator
- PureWave DSTATCOM Lets Mining Operation Peacefully Co-Exist With Its Neighbors
- PureWave DSTATCOM Solves Voltage Flicker Problem
- New Government Administrative Center in Brazil Features S&C's Remote Supervisory Vista Switchgear
- Alduti-Rupter Switch Simplifies Corn Refiner's Operating Procedures
- Pulseclosing Saves Transformers From the Stress of Damaging Fault Current